Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Funny Valentine

On our very first date, Jacob told me he doesn't do jewelry and he doesn't do flowers. In the 4 years I've known him, he has been faithful to that stance (besides my engagement & wedding rings). So I wasn't expecting anything of the romantic nature this Valentine's Day. And, being we were dealing with sickness in our house (first Micah - very mild, then me - pretty bad, and now Jacob - also very bad), we were planning a low-key kind of day for Micah's first Valentine's Day. In fact, Jacob came home half-way through the day, and spent the rest of the afternoon in bed. In addition, I had to run up to church to do an announcement at the 7pm service, so that kind of cut into any special dinner plan ideas.

But despite these things, it ended up being a day where we all felt very loved. Micah helped me to make some Valentine cookies and strawberry Jell-o in our heart-shaped mold. (The way to Daddy's heart has always been through his tummy!) Jacob coming home early meant we got to spend more time together. Plus, I could show my love by fulfilling that "in sickness and in health" portion of our vows, while taking care of him. Neither of us had to cook - I grabbed takeout from our favorite Mexican restaurant on my way home from church (and stopping off at Grandma's house after church meant we got a piece of the chocolate pie she made for Grandpa!). And it worked out well to eat at home, since Jacob wasn't feeling well. Micah was a real sweetheart, too - he slept nearly 11 hours at night so we could get more much needed rest (Jacob is home again today - sleeping on the couch as I write this).

And, to my utter amazement, there was a box delivered for me in the afternoon - 4 dozen Valentine roses. Flowers!?! But the best part was the note that was attached. I love both of my Valentine boys!

6 comments:

  1. That top photo is THE COOLEST picture of Micah that I've seen. Methinks he is going to be quite the writer. -Lyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son is the most adorable little thing!!! Please kiss him several times adoringly from Aunt Vic and Heidi! :) I was so thrilled to hear about your Valentine's Day gift! And very proud of my bro for treating his lady right! Haha! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Roes! I'm thinking I'm going to print out that photo of Micah with the roses to keep at my desk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGoodness that is the cutest! I now think M looks like you but with Jacob's ears.

    Is that teeth or spit shine? I don't know these things about months and teeth and stuff. Cats have teeth by the time I own them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this on FB but of course on here it is even better! Sounds like you had a wonderful day!!! I love that card AND THAT PICTURE OF HIM IS THE CUTEST!!!!! Hoping you are all on your way to health and soon! Love reading your rambles! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. @KC - it's spit. He's been drooling a lot lately - and chewing his fist... which might mean teeth are on the way soon??
    @Laura - get back to bed! :) Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete