In January, once again, the kids all participated in our annual read-aloud challenge (organized by Sarah Mackensie at Read Aloud Revival) - read aloud to someone (or something like a doll or stuffed animal) for at least 10 minutes a day. They each had a chart to mark off the days they accomplished this (hung on the wall on the other side of Henry's head in the pictures here) and every five days they were rewarded with a treat - popcorn and a movie, staying up an hour later than usual, milkshakes, etc.
The grand finale was a sleepover in the living room. I enjoyed this challenge because I was often the lucky recipient to hear their reading. But there were a few times when they utilized technology to read to someone else, as Henry did on this day. When Uncle Ben and cousin Max called us via video chat (an almost weekly occurrence during Max's lunchtime), Henry read "Good Night, Gorilla," making sure to show the pictures to Max. This was one of Helen's favorite picture books when she was Max's age. So we figured he might enjoy it as well. I'm grateful we can bond with Max, who lives in Texas, even though we don't get to see him in person often. And I'm already looking forward to the read aloud challenge we'll have next January!



No comments:
Post a Comment