Thursday, August 23, 2018

On the Patio - Aug 21, 2018

A post out of order... this poem was born of a windy afternoon when Helen, Henry, and Mommy sat outside on the patio, with their eyes closed and described the sounds they heard. Mommy wrote notes and then arranged their words into the following verse (the first paragraph consists of Helen's words, Henry's are the second paragraph, Mommy's the last): 


On the Patio
I hear
wind
I hear hard wind
crickets
that bell ringing
a buzzing sound
birds
A leaf
just fell down


The soft sound
of frogs
or crickets
I just heard
a tree sound
of cutting down


Leaves hustling,
whirling, across the patio,
stumbling, cartwheeling by
tomatoes, green beans,
edamame, weeds
Birds calling urgently
to one another,
greeting or warning,
noticing
the girl,
the boy,
the mother,
eyes closed,
attempting to translate
the sounds
on the patio


-by Helen, Henry, and Mommy
August 21, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment