Friday, January 28, 2011

Okuizome

Yesterday Micah was 100 days old. In Japan, this milestone is celebrated with the "Okuizome" ceremony. So that afternoon, my friends in the "Chit Chat Club" threw him an Okuizome party. And Micah wore his Jinbei from Keiko for the occasion!



Tomoko gave us an entertaining explanation about the different foods served on this special day. The central food was "tai" - a fish called bream, similar to red snapper. The Japanese word for "celebrate" is medetai. Since "tai" is included in medetai, they eat that fish for special celebrations. Micah's other Okuizome foods included celebration rice, soup, and vegetables. And macaroni and cheese. And an American flag cheesecake. :)

These foods were beautifully arranged in special dishes for the occasion. Mihoko had given Micah his very own set of Okuizome bowls - complete with tiny chopsticks. Japanese sure are good at "presentation."



After Micah took a brief nap and had his milk appetizer, we started the tradition. Using his chopsticks, I put bites of the food up to his lips, to mimic feeding him (and then ate the food myself). In this ceremony we celebrate that Micah is growing up. We hope that he will continue to grow well and never go hungry.

Celebration Rice


Mochi with toppings (kind of like a Japanese taco)
Junko & Micah

Today I'm thankful for our wonderful friends - Tomoko, Mihoko, Junko, Miki, Megumi, Michiko, and Jan. It is a blessing to have friends who are so generous to Micah and me and willing to share their culture with us!

6 comments:

  1. Still working on getting these videos to play... hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was my computer! Good luck with those videos! I loved reading about it though since I was a bit confused from the FB posting. What a wonderful celebration!!! Happy 100 days (or is it 101 now) Micah!
    Hugs-
    L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the 100 days of Micah.♪♪
    He looks so happy. Chit chat club friends are splendid!! I love your cake, too. so lovely party. You became mother, looked younger and more beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 100 days! Amy and Micah!!
    I also enjoyed so much surrounded by attractive friends and splendid foods. It was good time to realize Japanese culture again for me:)
    Wish you have a wonderful life!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited that Micah is being raised by you two, and being raised with exposure to a lot of different cultures. :)

    Lyle

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lyle - We are blessed twice over in this - to have Micah in our family, and to have such lovely friends who are willing to let us experience their culture!
    @"Quiet Tomoko" - I hope we can get together soon. Oh, and after Micah learns to walk, I'm counting on you to teach him how to hula! :)

    ReplyDelete